[JPackage-discuss] should java-1.6.0-sun- provide jdk?

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 02:12:37 CET 2010

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 5:17 PM, Ahmed El Zein <ahmed at azein.com> wrote:
> Will,
> Thanks for replying. Yes hadoop is not part of jpackage and that is
> the point I was trying to make. If some one builds an RPM that depends
> on Sun's java, he or she will depend on something that the sun RPM
> provides (in this case jdk). The jpackage team provides a specfile
> that allows one to re-package Sun's java in a centos friendly way. But
> the centos friendly RPM is still a replacement for the Sun provided
> RPM and as such I would have thought that the japackage should at
> least provides whatever the Sun RPM provides. Isn't that your
> objective? That we use the jpackage spec file rather that a straight
> install of Sun's RPM.

Take a look at the java-1.6.0-sun-compat package. That integrates JDK
with the Sun JDK package a bit more thorougly, and uses the Sun JDK
RPM instead of the Sun provides JDK installer. They do overlap a bit,
but this will help resolve that RPM requirement consistently.

Sun's decision to publish both binary installers and badly packaged
and named RPM's will hopefully change with Oracle's ownerhsip.......