[JPackage-discuss] Use of %{_localstatedir} (was: Quick question: jboss log directory)

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Sat May 1 12:40:13 CEST 2004

On Sat, 2004-05-01 at 01:53, Julius Davies wrote:

> Here's a quick question.  Why is "/var/lib/log/jboss" the JBoss 3.0.8
> log directory?  I was expecting "/var/log/jboss".

/var/log/jboss was our intention.  However, we're using
%{_localstatedir} in the spec file.  That points to /var when the
package is built on eg. a Red Hat or Fedora Core distribution, but the
latest version was built on Mandrake which apparently defines it as

> I don't mind "/var/lib/log/jboss".  I'm just curious.  I think the main
> concern at http://www.pathname.com/fhs/ is that logs be under /var, so
> you've achieved that much.

FHS 2.2 and 2.3 defines /var/log separately, IMO we should really be
using that:

> In previous messages I mentioned that I'm new to JPackage.  I should
> also mention that I'm new to LSB and FHS.  I really might have no idea
> what I'm talking about.

AFAICS your concern is valid.  Now, I have nothing against changing the
spec file so that we'd ensure use of /var/log.  That may (or maybe not)
however cause some upgrade problems or left behind dirs for people using
the current jboss package.  That should be be a big problem though; if
people agree with me on this, I'll make the change.  Let us know what
you think.

By the way, this is not only jboss problem so I have changed the
subject.  At least the following packages refer to %{_localstatedir} and
should be reviewed too, and handled consistently.  A quick peek reveals
that many of these are actually broken wrt. this issue.
- jasper4
- jasper5
- jboss
- jetty4
- jonas
- mod_jk2
- p6spy
- struts
- tomcat4
- tomcat5

Perhaps we should ban use of %{_localstatedir} altogether, and use
%{_var} instead of it?